Little Falls, New Jersey is a small town located in the northern part of the state. It is home to a population of about 10,000 people, mostly from middle-class backgrounds. Geographically, Little Falls is situated on the Passaic River and surrounded by lush greenery. The climate in Little Falls is mild and temperate with four distinct seasons. Check whicheverhealth for information about Allentown, New Jersey.
The history of Little Falls dates back to the eighteenth century when it was incorporated as a township in 1798. Since then it has developed into an ethnically diverse community with many cultures represented. Politically, Little Falls leans toward being a Democratic stronghold but there is still room for independent voices in local politics.
The economy of Little Falls benefits from its proximity to larger cities like Newark and New York City as well as its own local businesses such as restaurants and shops. There are also numerous schools in Little Falls including public elementary schools and high schools as well as several private institutions such as Seton Hall University and St Elizabeth’s College.
In terms of landmarks, there are several notable sites located throughout the town including the historic Passaic County Courthouse and St John’s Church which were both built during the eighteenth century. There are also many parks located throughout town such as Van Saun Park which features a zoo, carousel rides, picnic areas, and more. Finally, there are also two rivers that flow through Little Falls: The Passaic River which runs along its western border and the Third River which runs through its eastern border.
Males: 5,134 (47.3%), Females: 5,721 (52.7%)
Median resident age: 40.6 years
Median household income: $58,857
Median house value: $212,300
Races in Little Falls:
- White Non-Hispanic (88.4%)
- Hispanic (5.3%)
- Asian Indian (1.8%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- Other race (1.3%)
- Black (0.7%)
- Chinese (0.6%)
- Filipino (0.6%)
- Korean (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Italian (34.6%), Irish (20.0%), German (12.3%), Polish (7.3%), English (5.2%), Dutch (3.8%).
Elevation: 360 feet
Land area: 2.8 square miles
Little Falls, New Jersey is a small town located in Passaic County. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the population of Little Falls was 8,967 as of 2019. The population has remained relatively stable over the years and is mostly comprised of white residents. The median household income in Little Falls is $82,572 and the median age is 41 years old.
The cost of living in Little Falls is slightly higher than the national average but still affordable for many families. The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment is around $1,200 per month and utilities are slightly higher than average as well. Groceries are also slightly more expensive than other parts of the country but overall still affordable for most people living in Little Falls. Transportation costs are average and there are a variety of public transportation options available for those who need it. Overall, Little Falls offers its residents an affordable lifestyle with plenty of amenities nearby such as parks, restaurants, shops, and entertainment options.
For population 25 years and over in Little Falls
- High school or higher: 85.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 34.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 12.3%
- Unemployed: 4.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Little Falls CDP
- Never married: 26.9%
- Now married: 53.6%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 9.0%
13.7% Foreign born (5.3% Europe, 4.6% Asia, 3.1% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Little Falls:
- ESSEX COUNTY HOSPITAL CENTER (about 2 miles; CEDAR GROVE, NJ)
- WAYNE GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; WAYNE, NJ)
- MONTCLAIR COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; MONTCLAIR, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Little Falls:
- TETERBORO (about 13 miles; TETERBORO, NJ; Abbreviation: TEB)
- NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (about 15 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: EWR)
- PORT AUTH-DWNTN-MANHATTAN/WALL ST (about 21 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JRB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Little Falls:
- ESSEX COUNTY (about 3 miles; CALDWELL, NJ; Abbreviation: CDW)
- LINCOLN PARK (about 7 miles; LINCOLN PARK, NJ; Abbreviation: N07)
- NEWARK NR 1 (about 12 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: 3N4)
Amtrak stations near Little Falls:
- 11 miles: NEWARK (RAYMOND PLAZA WEST). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 13 miles: NEWARK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (NEWARK, ). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones.
- 19 miles: NEW YORK (PENN STA) (NEW YORK, 7TH AVE. & W. 32ND ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Little Falls:
- MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; UPPER MONTCLAIR, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 10,226)
- WILLIAM PATERSON UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY (about 5 miles; WAYNE, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 8,017)
- PASSAIC COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 5 miles; PATERSON, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 2,452)
- UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE AND DENTISTRY OF NEW JERSEY (about 9 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 4,134)
- SETON HALL UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; SOUTH ORANGE, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 7,509)
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY-NEWARK (about 11 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 6,878)
- NEW JERSEY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 11 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 6,565)
Public high school in Little Falls:
- PASSAIC VALLEY HIGH SCH (Students: 1,138; Location: EAST MAIN STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Little Falls:
- NUMBER 1 (Students: 401; Location: STEVENS AVENUE; Grades: 05 – 08)
- NUMBER 2 (Students: 279; Location: LONG HILL ROAD; Grades: KG – 02)
- NUMBER 3 (Students: 174; Location: 560 MAIN STREET; Grades: 03 – 04)
Private primary/middle schools in Little Falls:
- OUR LADY OF HOLY ANGELS SCHOOL (Students: 180; Location: 471 MAIN STREET; Grades: KG – 8)
- PHOENIX CENTER (Students: 113; Location: 560 MAIN ST; Grades: UG – UG)
Library in Little Falls:
- LITTLE FALLS PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $383,909; Location: 8 WARREN STREET; 51,989 books; 1,982 audio materials; 406 video materials; 155 serial subscriptions)